Sunday, September 21, 2008

Weekend Visit With The Carusos

Tommy and I just got back from our visit with Laura and Michael in West Lafayette. On Saturday evening she and Michael cooked for us. My daughter can cook!!! Michael is from a cooking family so it didn't surprise me that he would be a good cook! We were treated to delicious homemade bread, wonderful homemade authentic Italian tomato sauce with pasta, delicious brajoli (don't know if that is spelled right, but it is fabulous thin layers of pork rolled with bread crumbs and other ingredients and broiled in the oven on skewers), and salad with great homemade dressing. After dinner we were treated to Boston Creme Pie, a perfect end to a fabulous meal. They both worked together on the entire meal. The Hammond parents are IMPRESSED!!!

After dinner, I got my butt kicked playing Wii tennis and bowling with Michael and Laura. You would think that they would let the "old gal" win, but NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Here's something I discovered this weekend.........Laura is a good housekeeper. This is the same Laura who grew up in my house, the one who I would suggest getting a tetanus shot before riding in her car or spending much time in her room.

Another thing I discovered......Michael has grown some facial hair. It is absolutely too cute!!! He looks quite handsome.

Both Laura and Michael looked happy and well. It was so good to see them both.

I loved their apartment. I also loved spending time with them, and watching them grow together as a married couple.

This morning (Sunday) we ate breakfast at I-Hop and spent a little time shopping in West Lafayette. It's funny that Laura and I sometimes purchase or look at/like the exact same things in a store. Today Laura & I were both in the jewelry section of a store, and I found a pair of earrings that I liked. At about the same time she also found a pair she liked. We were both talking about them, and turned to discover that we are both holding the same exact ones. Things like this happen to us all the time.

It is so awesome when your daughter makes the transition from your treasured child to your treasured friend. Though she remains my child, she now has attained the "most amazing friend" status, something that I wish for all my friends who are blessed with daughters. She really understands me like no one else.....probably because she is so like me. How did this happen? Thank you God for my daughter!!!

Please remember Laura in your prayers this week. Her temporary employment has ended and she is deligently searching for a job. I hope that she will find one that will allow her to come home some on the weekends.

On the way home we made a little stop in Edinburg (Outlet Mall). I was able to purchase two Christmas gifts; one for Christy, and one for Mom Hammond!

Before we left yesterday, our BRAND NEW television started acting up. I was afraid that I had broken it, so I was stressed out. Nick came over while we were gone, and got it up and running. By the way....Nick can fix almost anything, especially if it is computer or electronic-related. It turned out that there is a problem with our cable box. The cable company is supposed to bring us a new one I think.

After a week off from work due to last week's hurricane, I have to go back to work tomorrow. It's going to HURT! I did have a great week off. Christy and I took Luke to have his picture made on Thursday. The pictures turned out fabulous, of course. That baby is absolutely precious. Christy brought him over a little while yesterday before we left, so I did get a little "baby fix" before I went to West Lafayette. I did miss seeing Nick, Christy, and Luke today because we usually spend time with them every Sunday. It is amazing to me that both of my children and their spouses have become amazing friends and people that we LOVE spending time with. Tommy and I are so blessed!

1 comment:

Hers and His said...

Laura and I laugh about how similar mine and my mom's relationship is to yours and Laura's! Although I'm jealous that you got to see Laura, I'm glad you had a good time! Maybe you can tell Laura to post some pictures of Michael's new facial hair :)