Saturday, August 1, 2009

One year ago/Summer recap

One year ago on this date we were pretty busy in the Hammond household. It was the day before Laura's wedding, and we had LOTS to do. Planning the wedding was so much fun. The end result was a beautiful wedding worthy of the wonderful daughter that I raised. I do not regret the money or time that we spent because it was certainly worth it. I cannot believe that she has been married for a whole year AND living away from home. I miss her, but know that living away has given Laura & Michael lots of time to build their relationship without much outside interference.

For all of you young moms who think that your children will be small forever, please take the time to stop and appreciate where you are at this moment, because they will grow up faster than you could ever imagine. You will be sitting in a church surrounded by flowers and family watching them getting married and wonder where all the time went.

When I imagined Laura's wedding there was one thing that continued to plague my thoughts. I could imagine all of the wedding with me smiling and happy, but I kept thinking about how I just did not think I could take it when she walked out of the reception hall....never to be "my little girl" again. It turned out that my sweet grandson Luke had fallen asleep as I was holding him when she left. Yes, I did cry, but having him in my arms was so special at that moment. He was only 8 months old at the time, but he gave me so much comfort. It is a moment that will forever be in my memory.

As I near the end of this STRANGE summer, I must continue to count my blessings. Since Tommy lost his job on May 1, we have spent lots of time together, and we have gotten to do things that we never could have done if he was working. We can always make more money, but we can NEVER manufacture time.

We did get to enjoy some time with Nick, Christy, Luke, Laura, and Michael that would not have been available to us had Tommy been working. We got to go to Holiday World with Nick, Christy, & Luke which was lots of fun. We visited Laura and Michael and went with them up to Lake Michigan on the actual day of my birthday. Laura, with the help of Tommy, Nick, Christy, Deb, Nancy, & Deina, threw me a fantastic 50th birthday party. We got plenty of Luke-time too which we cherish. I think that Papaw (Tommy) has become his favorite. He loves his Nana (me), but he is really into "Papaw" right now!!!! I'm so jealous!

I will go back to work on August 12. Please continue to pray for us, since Tommy has not found a job yet. He REALLY wants to go back to work. He is diligently searching, but there are not a lot of job opportunities available right now in this area. I really do not want to re-locate or anything like that, so PLEASE remember us in your prayers!

2 comments:

Susie said...

I remember Laura's wedding too. She was so beautiful. I am praying for Tom to find a job.

Hers and His said...

I know it's going to go by so fast but I don't want it to! Our plan is for Lincoln to never get married and for him to live with us forever!!! hee hee hee :)